Monday, August 29, 2016

Life According to 'Pretty In Pink'

I graduated from high school in 1987.  I lived in a great small town in North Carolina.  One large high school in the entire county.  Two junior high schools fed into this one high school, East and West.  I went to West.  It was located on the more affluent side of town.  The nicer neighborhoods fed into West.  I remember entering high school on that first day of 10th grade and identifying people by the junior high they attended.  You where either East or West.

I still have many close friends from East, my first boyfriend was from East.  And in a way they were exceptions.  In reality they weren't.  But we said they were.

In 1986 Pretty In Pink hit theaters.  The soundtrack was full of edgy 80's talent.  But the story hit home in so many ways.  It became the theme for my high school days.

Fast forward to 2016, thirty years later.  The great powers that be bring Pretty in Pink back to the big screen.  I bought tickets online for $15!  I probably paid $5 in 1986.  And there was no 'online.' My small drink was $5!  (I did not get popcorn!)

The movie starts and I know every single scene.  But it still grabs at my heart.  I remember that feeling when  a cute boy looks at you and says, "Hi." Or when someone unexpected makes an effort to be near you in a way no one ever has before.  I never had a Duckie but I had dear friends.  And I loved the prom!  My mother and I made my dresses (I went four times).  And unlike Andie, I fell in love with James Spader!

As I write this, I realize I can't put into words the feelings I had last night.  I laughed and I cried.  I heard things I didn't remember.  Like Stef telling Benny she needed to eat when she had had to much to drink, "Let's go find you some food, like some ribs or something."  I probably didn't get it because in 1986, I had yet to experience a hangover.

I sat with a new friend who is younger.  She never saw Pretty in Pink on the big screen.  She wasn't even born when it came out!  But she understands the angst and thrill of being a teenage girl.

My oldest son's first day of middle school is today.  I want all this for him (and of course my other children).  The thrill of someone making your heart beat fast.  The confidence to choose friends and girlfriends and boyfriends based on the good you see in them not their address.  The love of a best friend who would do every thing for you and you would do the same in return.




No comments:

Post a Comment